To promote tourism in Alabama and alter state stereotypes, the state’s Retirement Fund determined an enormous network of world-class golf courses could be developed. A golf architect of note, Robert Trent Jones, Sr., was tapped to showcase the natural beauty of Alabama.
Jones, the trail’s namesake, emerged from near retirement to tackle the giant project. The RTJ Golf Trail is the largest golf construction project ever attempted, anywhere in the world. Your Golf There is headquartered in Alabama and help establish RTJ Golf Trip Packages to its home state.
Why book a Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail golf vacation package?
- Each RTJ course provides a truly unique championship layout–all designed to withstand the tests of time and changes in golf equipment. Each course will challenge the best golfers, but also provide a quality golf experience for the novice golfer too.
- One aspect of the RTJ Trail are the generous tee locations. The tees are pegged to ability level, not age or gender, allowing players to find the right location to maximize (or minimize) the challenge of each golf course. The courses are anywhere from 4,700 yards to over 8,000 yards from the tournament tees. With as many as 12 tee boxes in-between, there is a tremendous amount of flexibility for golf vacationers to find his or her sweet spot.
- The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is an incredible golfing experience for the golf traveler of every skill level. Each courses will provide challenge for the best golfers in your group, yet at the same time allow an enjoyable outing for the casual to beginning golfer. Take a trip to Alabama and discover this phenomenal trail on your next custom golf vacation.
Planning Your Alabama Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Vacation
Starting small, the initial plan was for just seven sites: Hampton Cove in Huntsville, Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham, Silver Lakes in Anniston, Grand National in Opelika, Cambrian Ridge in Greenville, Highland Oaks in Dothan, and Magnolia Grove in Mobile. After seeing the success of the project, additional courses and destinations were added. In 1999, The Capitol Hill courses in Montgomery were added. Then in 2005, The Shoals in Florence and Ross Bridge in Birmingham premiered. Vacation packages can be customized for any of the Trail locations.
Since its founding, the Trail has won numerous awards and honors, including several from Golf Digest’s “Places to Play” and even being featured in 50 Places to Play Golf Before You Die, by Chris Santella. Frequent Flyer magazine named the RTJ Trail as one of the “Top 10 Trips” and The New York Times called it “Some of the best public golf on earth.’ With accolades like that, your golf vacation can’t go wrong with the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.
One of the finest features of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail as a golf travel destination is the locations of the golf courses. Every golf site is close to an interstate making them easy to reach and reducing travel time from one course to another, perfect for a golf vacation. Travel straight down I-65 and hit six Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail sites. Or, a popular option is to make a loop from Atlanta to Anniston, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Auburn. Each way is within a 90 minute drive from Atlanta. This way you can explore many of the sites, making it an interesting and successful golf trip.
When you think of so many golf courses all created by the same designer, you might believe that you would encounter a ‘manufactured’ feel. This is far from the case with the RTJ Trail. Each trail course takes advantage of the natural topography of the region, utilizing the rolling hills of the north and the rivers and valleys of the rest of the state. Like the Michelangelo of golf, Robert Trent Jones sculpted these courses out of the land, careful to preserve the natural beauty surrounding them. With the RTJ Golf Trail, an Alabama golf vacation provides golfers with unique world-class golf courses designed by the premier golf course designer that are as varied as the landscape of Alabama.
More than Great Alabama Golf — Great Golf Resorts and Packages Too!
Several of the world-class golf sites now have luxurious resorts on or near the course allowing for the perfect Stay & Play golf packages. You can’t get any closer to the course when you stay at the Marriott Legends at Capitol Hill, Auburn Marriott at Grand National, Marriott Shoals Resort and Spa or the Renaissance Ross Bridge Resort. Many of these world-class resorts feature spas and some of the finest dining options available in the state, making your Alabama golf trip perfect all around. We offer a range of golf accommodations that have been hand selected to best meet the needs of your golf group—everything from spacious ocean view condos to moderate accommodations with amenities that will keep your golf group satisfied, relaxed and ready to focus on golf.
Our team of experts have crafted custom golf trips for every size group and budget. We know the RTJ Trail and golf in Alabama better than anyone, because we live here. Contact our Golf Vacation Specialists today to find out how we can create the ultimate Robert Trent Jones Golf experience for you and your group. Come find out why The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and Alabama golf have been called the best value in golf vacations.
Plan your next golf vacation
Top Rated Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Golf Courses
- Cambrian Ridge
- Capitol Hill
- Grand National
- Hampton Cove
- Highland Oaks
- Lakewood Golf Club
- Magnolia Grove
- Oxmoor Valley
- Ross Bridge Golf Course
- Silver Lakes
- The Shoals
Top Rated Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail Hotels
- Alabama River Golf Villas
- Auburn Marriott at Grand National
- Courtyard by Marriott – Mobile
- Courtyard Marriott Craft Farms
- Cypress Point Condominiums
- Embassy Suites Huntsville
- Embassy Suites Montgomery
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Spanish Fort
- Gulf Shores Condos & Private Homes
- Hampton Inn Florence-Midtown
- Hampton Inn – Greenville
- Hampton Inn Huntsville
- Hampton Inn & Suites – Mobile
- Hampton Inn & Suites – Opelika/Auburn
- Hampton Inn & Suites – Prattville
- Holiday Inn Birmingham/Hoover
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Prattville South
- Hotel at Auburn University
- Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
- Island House Hotel
- Limestone Springs Golf Cottages
- Marriott Courtyard Birmingham/Hoover
- Marriott Grand Hotel – Point Clear, AL
- Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa
- Montgomery Marriott At Capitol Hill
- Oster Golf House – Capitol Hill
- Oster Golf House – Oxmoor Valley
- Renaissance Ross Bridge Resort & Spa
- Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
- The Links Condominiums at The Peninsula Resort
- The Lodge at FarmLinks Golf Club
- The Wynfrey Hotel